Friday, January 25, 2013

Calligraphy Every Day 22: Roman

The letter forms of the Roman alphabet lie under everything we read in English and many other languages today.  The version is about 9 times as high as the width of the pen. The letters, in several letter families, are 1 1/4, 1, 3/4, and 1/2 as wide as their height.  Because small changes in these ratios make big changes in the letters, more Roman height and weight variations will appear during the year.  


Roman is a demanding style.  The most important aspect is to get the proportions right.  I'm a little out of practice, though, so the strokes are a little off vertical. 


Practice Roman calligraphy in the letter families shown on the chart at right: 

This alphabet is covered in great depth in Learn Calligraphy, pages 29-46.  It's worth studying and practicing, to give your calligraphy sophistication and depth.  

 

2 comments:

  1. I think this is lovely!

    I've been a fan of your work since the middle-eighties and hope someday to approach your facility with these letterforms. I've been enjoying your daily posts since I found them earlier this week; I'm only sorry I didn't know about them earlier! I look forward to reading through your archives.

    Thank you for all you do for the life of art and lettering. I really appreciate your talent and creativity!

    Kind regards,

    Your avid fan, A. Catherine Noon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested in how you found me; I'm not sure how to connect with people who know me through my books. I'd be grateful if you can keep me informed with suggestions as this daily feature continues--should the alphabets be harder, easier, weirder? [note Pinterest board too, a real convenience]

    ReplyDelete