Tuesday, November 19, 2013

274 Nouveau D-2

I don't have a good way to do K.  Ideas? beyond just picking words without it. 
I am not satisfied with yesterday's Nouveau D.  Here is another try, Nouveau two nibs, using a broad-edged pen for about half of the strokes to control the swell of the curves, and then finishing off the upper parts of the letters with a Speedball B nib to make a thin unvarying line.  

Admittedly, it's an clunky process that limits you to a few carefully planned words, but these letters do work.  And once you've tried them with your own pen, they belong to you in a special way.  

The blue strokes, at right, are done with a different pen from the black strokes, for emphasis only.  That's not the way I recommend you write the alphabet.  When you actually construct it, use one color for everything, as at lower right.  
  

1 comment:

  1. I've been studying your books since 1979, after being introduced to calligraphy by one of my pharmacy school instructors. I'm so happy to have found your blogspot. You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete