Tuesday, July 13, 2021

American Calligraphy #26: The spaces

I'm blessed with beautiful letters to see in my neighborhood. But this means I can't avoid seeing the un-beautiful letters too, or more often the awkward spaces between the letters. When Boston threw itself into the Gothic Revival in the later 19th century, its Roman lettering suffered. Shown here is a cautionary example of all the inscriptions that could have been better spaced. 

The spacing looks good enough until you focus between T and M; U and A; E and R. 

I like to keep in mind the artistic principle, variously attributed to Mozart and Debussy among others,"The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between them." Calligraphers too know that the spaces between the letters are where the beauty lives. 

Enjoy the letters around you and the spaces between them. 



10 comments:

  1. You're kind to be back with your weekly blog series. They are all delightful, with technical skill, lots of nuances, and clear writing. Just like all your many books, over the last 5 decades!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally, you need to follow the onscreen instructions, which should launch the phone's music player and allow you to load up any music files you want. You are curious to know more about mod Menu for gta, click here now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here. In case you need a staff for hire, check out

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Through beautiful letters, calligraphy helps me to show my creativity and originality. I believe you can make your own gorgeous lettering, similar to the one in your area.
    Business Listings

    ReplyDelete